Are there Benefits to Drinking Coffee?
Did you know that coffee has a ton of health benefits?
Wanna know what they are? Ok, twist my arm.
· For one, it can improve mental alertness, (no surprise there, I know)
· It can be good for mental health- lowering depression possibly.
· Some studies show it can reduce your risk of Type 2 diabetes
· It contains antioxidants, which are known to protect your cells
· It might be protective against Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons disease, and might help improve cognitive function
When is it not a good idea? If pregnant, the guidelines state that you should consume no more than 200 mg (that’s about a cup of coffee- a normal size mug from your house, not a large takeout size). For breastfeeding the guidelines are 300 mg or less.
Or, If you have a heart condition, or any condition where your dr. has told you to avoid caffeine. Some people have unpleasant side effects from even the smallest amount of coffee (irritability, anxiety, fast heartbeat, etc), they should probably head for the decaf (which has a small amount of caffeine, about 7 mg). Also, if you are having trouble sleeping, the coffee should probably go.
Or, of course if you’re a kid, that’s not a good idea either.
For reference, 200 mg. is 1-2 cups of coffee.
So, enjoy your cup of coffee if you like it- watch out for added sugars if you’re getting it from takeout places. The best way? Just brew it and enjoy the natural taste of coffee- add your own milk, sugar if desired. I love black coffee- I thoroughly enjoy the taste, and can tell when coffee isn’t good, because that way you can really taste everything. But, alas, that’s just me. You go ahead and enjoy it whichever way you like it!
If you want additional information which cross references studies, check out :
Aileen Birkitt, RD, LDN