Now that it's going to get dark earlier, and as we head into the winter months here are some foods and supplements that may help to improve your mood.
- Take 800-1000 IU Vitamin D- most of us do not get enough vitamin D- getting adequate amounts of vitamin D may help improve your immunity, help your mood, help your bones and just make you feel better during these cold months.
- Eat fish at least twice per week. My recent posts about Omega 3's and fish oils explain how Omega 3's can help your mood, among other things. If you are allergic to fish consider using fresh ground flaxseed.
- Eat citrus fruits. Just the scent of citrus may help you feel better this time of year. Plus it's fresher during this season
- Eat nuts- The high quality protein and fat found in nuts may also help your mood and help you feel more full and satisfied
- Make sure to eat whole grains, protein, fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy and healthy fats like olive and canola oil.
- Get some exercise- moving around will help your mood as well. Make a commitment to get out of your chair and move around if you are mostly sedentary. Start small and build up. Even starting at 5-10 minutes is better than nothing!
Let's beat the winter doldrums!!!!