Asian Chicken Salad with Noodles
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 cups hot cooked linguini (about 6 oz. uncooked pasta)
8 oz. ready to eat cooked, roasted, skinned, boned chicken breasts
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add linguini and remaining ingredients, tossing to coat.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size 1 ½ cups)
Vegetarian option: instead of chicken add ½ cup peanuts (or can still add the nuts with the chicken if desired)
Adapted from Cooking Light
Here is a recipe I made last night- one of these days I will remember to take pictures of the dish!!!
Quick Artichoke Chicken (adapted from ShopRite)
Prep Time- 10 minutes
Cook Time- 30 minutes
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 (4-oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
3-4 tablepoons Italian seasoning (I used Tuscan Italian seasoning- McCormick)
1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with fresh ground black pepper to taste. Add chicken to skillet, cook 4 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to a plate, set aside.
2. Add mushrooms and onion to skillet, cook over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, artichokes, broth and hot sauce, if adding. Return chicken to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken registers 165 degrees F.
3. Cook couscous according to package directions.
4. Stir in spinach, cook until just wilted. Season with pepper to taste, and serve.
Here is a delicious healthy chicken dish I made last night- adapted from Cooking Light March 1999.
Simmered Sicilian Chicken
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 (4 oz.) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup sweet Marsala wine (I used sherry cooking wine)
1/2 cup pitted green olives, quartered
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
3 cups hot cooked angel hair (I recommend using whole grain pasta)
1. Place first 3 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal and shake to coat.
2. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
3. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, oregano, red pepper and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in broth and Marsala wine; reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Add the chicken and olives; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add the grapes; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Serve over pasta. Yield; 4 servings (serving size- 1 chicken breast half, 3/4 cup pasta and 1/3 cup sauce).