Healthy grilling ideas for July 4:
With July 4 upon us, here are some ideas for foods you can grill that taste great while keeping it healthy!
- Burgers: choose burgers that are grass fed and are at least 90% lean,
- Alternative Burgers: turkey burgers, salmon patties, and in addition there are a whole realm of veggie burgers now- Impossible brand, Beyond Meat, Morningstar farms, Boca, etc.
- Chicken: You can marinate chicken breasts for at least one hour before grilling in olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Seafood: You can also grill up most types of seafood- shrimp, salmon, tuna steak, etc. Just spray with cooking spray and add a little Old Bay or Cajun seasoning for some flavoring. (Shrimp would need to be in foil or a grill basket).
- Grains: For grains, first of all, don’t forget the bun!!!! You could also serve up some vinegar based potato salad (German potato salad) and/or fresh corn, boiled. More options are quinoa, couscous or brown rice.
- Vegetables: A grill tool that might be useful is a vegetable grill basket- you can throw a bunch of vegetables in there and throw on the grill with no worries about anything falling into the grill. Or, you could just pick up or make a vinegar based coleslaw.
- Veggie kabobs are another fun way to grill vegetables- you can put cherry tomatoes, squash and any color pepper chunks on a kebab stick- spray with some cooking spray ahead of time and cook until slightly blackened. (kids could even help put them on a kabob stick). Another option is to wrap vegetables in heavy duty foil (after using cooking spray) and place on grill.In addition, serve with some fresh salad greens – and you have yourself a meal Enjoy!!!!