Here are some tips on how to avoid overeating or overconsuming calories when eating out:
- avoid ordering any dishes that contain cream sauce or cheese, mayonnaise, or are fried, listed as crispy, buttered, creamed, sauteed
- don't let the waiter/waitress bring bread to the table
- eat only half the portion- push the other half to the other side of the plate
- order the butter, salad dressing, any condiments on the side
- order a salad before your meal- put the dressing on yourself - order the "greens" salad, NOT the Caesar or anything else with cheese (high in calories and unhealthy fat)
- Try ordering your food a bit spicy, if this is an option. It will force you to eat slower, that way you can't overeat!!!
Here's what to choose:
- broiled, grilled fish or chicken, grilled shrimp, lean meat
- roasted, poached, broiled, steamed
- ask for whole wheat versions of breads, rolls
- order dishes that contain lots of vegetables
For ordering with KIDS:
- the children's meals tend to be the LEAST healthy
- order an adult meal and share with your child
- if veggie/fruit sides are an option, choose them!
- sometimes it's important to let you child have a treat once in a while and order what they want (which usually tends to be chicken nuggets or hot dog (I know!)) Tell the wait staff to put only a few fries on the plate- not half the plate!
- Also order extra sides of fruit cups/veggies